As part of a regulated legal profession, “the calling of an industrial property attorney shall be to offer his services to the public, in an habitual and remunerated manner, advising, assisting or representing others with a view to obtaining, or maintaining, exploiting or defending industrial property rights, related rights and rights bearing on any connected matter” (article L 422-1 of the French Intellectual Property Code).
AREOPAGE® services relate to industrial and intellectual property law, in particular to trademark, design, copyright and domain name matters.
We represent our clients before the National Institute of Industrial Property (INPI) in Paris, before the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) in Alicante and before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in Geneva.
Regarding protection and defense of foreign national IP rights, we work with a worldwide network of correspondents whom we have selected, based on our experience, for their professionalism, reliability and efficiency.
Some of the services we propose:
- Availability searches to ascertain the availability of signs intended to be adopted as trademark and/or corporate name as well as the novelty of a design;
- Filings and renewals of trademarks and designs;
- Registration proceedings of trademarks and designs;
- Registration and renewal of domain names;
- Professional advice in industrial and intellectual property rights;
- Competitive intelligence and IP right watches;
- Pre-litigation (sending cease-and-desist letters);
- Litigation: opposition proceedings (filing oppositions and responses to opposition) ; nullity actions before EUIPO; seizure of infringing products; assisting our clients, together with advocates, in legal procedures based in IP infringement or unfair competition; alternative dispute resolution before WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center regarding domain names ; assisting our clients in mediation procedures involving intellectual property rights;
- Negotiation and drawing up of agreements in industrial and intellectual property matters (coexistence agreements, licenses, assignments);
- Registrations in Trademark and Design Registers of corporate name changes, changes of address, transfers of property, licenses…
- IP portfolio audits and due diligence;
- Awareness-raising in industrial and intellectual matters.
According to our deontological rules, as defined by the Intellectual Property Code, we are subject to confidentiality, to professional secrecy and to independence.